Inspired by a Reddit post that I was reading whilst procrastinating, I’ve come up with a nice system for dealing with my Steam backlog that’s approaching nearly four hundred games… Gotta do something. And not change the password and forget it exists…
Anyway, the idea is to play every game for at least 1 hour to see if I enjoy it. If not, whatever, it’s done. Move on, if I do then keep playing. Easy? I’ve inputted my steam games into Excel (via SteamDB and excel’s Web data input wizard) and sorted them into one of four categories. Those I haven’t touched at all, or haven’t reach an hour in. Those that I’ve actually completed properly, ones that I am going to skip over and others that I might go back to later. The latter three all count as “completed” for backlog purposes. I’ll sort out separate lists for PS3, Gog.com games, 3DS and Vita titles that I own too.
- Need to Play
- One Hour Completed, It’s DONE
- Might Continue
Going forward, I’ve selected the first game that appears for each letter. The first batch is as follows. I think I’ll actually complete more than a few of these (Machinarium, Doodles are Bugged) but there are more than a handful of massive games too (GalCiv, East India Company). I have been meaning to try them at some point, and now I can. This will probably take me till at least the Summer holidays. Wish me luck! Not a lot will get played before exams are over in three weeks. Time to
play games revise.
- Ace of Spades
- Bad Rats
- Carrier Command: Gaea Mission
- Darkest Hour: Europe ’44-’45
- East India Company
- Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
- Hack, Slash, Loot
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Killing Floor
- Lead and Gold Gangs of the Wild West
- Napoleon: Total War
- Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus
- Paranautical Activity
- RAW Realms of Ancient War
- Take Command: Second Manassas
- UFO: Afterlight
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines
- Wargame: European Escalation
- Your Doodles Are Bugged!
- Zen Bound® 2
Some more rules:
- Multiplayer only games can be skipped entirely if I can’t find anyone to play them with.
- Games incompatible with my PC can be skipped entirely.