It turns out to be pretty hard to get motivated without concrete goals. I’ve spent the last year yoyo-ing on ‘getting healthy’ and never actually doing anything much about it. For a while after I moved, I even had two gym memberships (I used neither, though.)
I can’t ride a bike around anymore like when I lived at home – I don’t have a bike or anywhere to store one. That summer I did though (just before Uni) I ended up weighing the lightest I’ve even been. I want to be somewhere around there again.
For 2017, I figured I should try something a bit different! So, I’ve booked myself on two Half Tough Mudders! One in May (four months from now) and the other in September (eight months from now).
So now I have a gym membership again, and some vision of where I want to be in 132 days.
GOALS – you should have some!
So, how the fuck am I going to do this??
- Eating considerably heathier / log most of my meals on an App
- I am still undecided about what to do when I travel – 2/3 days a week on average away from home!
- The eating at restaurants ruins me! The lack of any form of kitchen except a kettle (usually) makes this problematic.
- Drinking much less than I currently do – Untappd says I’ve checked 90 beers in the last 90 days. Too many!
- Obviously for Tough Mudder I need to be able to run/jog 5 miles, and haul my fat self over walls and shit. Therefore, I need to be able to actually run (ha!) and to actually gain some upper body strength. Losing some weight between now and May would likely be beneficial too.
- Aiming to go 1-3 times a week (obviously more difficult when I am away for extended periods of time!)
All my diet wins and fails will be logged on Myfitnesspal, all my exercise related escapades will be on Runkeeper, and my weight will be tracked by Apple Health. I’ll post an update in February (not that anyone actually cares except me:))
If anyone wants to send me a friend request on any of the mentioned services, leave a comment!